Thursday, July 30, 2009

WNBA first half evaluations....

So in figuring out what to write today I came across an article about how some WNBA players evaluated their teams over the first half of the season. I figured I would do my own analysis.

Let's start with the East, my personal favorite since I'm a Jersey girl.

Indiana Fever:
13-4, 1st: Best team in the WNBA, period. I love this team, they are so balanced on both ends of the floor. What makes them so good is that they want to get better. It's not enough to have a great record or be top in a lot of categories...these ladies want that championship. They have the talent, the chemistry and the heart to do it. And they will get it.

Connecticut Sun:
9-7, 2nd: No big surprise to me that the Sun sit nicely in 2nd place. They are a great team, a little inconsistent in the beginning of the season but overall a nice team to watch. They have a great inside-out game as long as their perimieter people can stay consistent. If their guards can drive to the hoop more it will help to open up the post players for easy scores. They play nice defense and if Indiana wasn't so damn good this season, I'd put them in the finals.
Atlanta Dream:
8-10, T-4th:. I like this team, I think they are going to make some noise next season. They are still super young but that can play well for a team. Look at Seattle! Overall it seems that the players feel good about the direction of the team and that is a POSITIVE sign. The only thing that hurts them is if they fall behind, the keep falling behind! But, with experience and winning a few "come from behind games" Atlanta will be in the mix.
Chicago Sky:
8-10, T-4th: Okay, this team is totally disappointing me. I really thought they had all the tools to make a run this season and man, I was off. Of course it's not over yet and they played a nice second half last season. Again, it just seems that the Sky are inconsistent when they need to be solid. They have some experience under their belt but what I like is that when their big player isn't scoring, other people at least try to step it up. My other thought: Jia Perkins is very under rated, she could take over for Tech and watch her do that with the Sky.
New York Liberty:
6-10, 5th: The Liberty have been a big disappointment this season. They have a lot of talent but not a strong inside presence, which does hurt them in the long run. They have lost a lot of games that they should have won (recently taking a 20 point lead on Phoenix only to lose). Personally I think a lot of the problem is the head coach, it's time for Anne to take over and rebuild this team.

Detroit Shock:
5-9, 6th: Wow! So the departure of Bill had a huge impact on this team. It's obvious why, he was the one who could get their emotions flowing. This team has a lot of talent but what they are missing is heart. It's sad to see them struggle like this after being so dominant in the East over the past few years. I see them finishing in the 6th spot at the end of the season as well, just no consistence and I just do not see them going on a run. I think there might be a coaching change soon, unless they make the playoffs!

No comments: